Sunday, January 9, 2011

The most beautiful castle


I went on vacation for a week with MigL, my mom, sister, brother and their families.  We had such a great time!  It had been 10 years since my sister and I had flown together (really, it’d been that long?), when we flew to check out a potential college option in Napa Valley.  From that moment, it became my alma mater of a college.

For a year and a half, we’d been planning this wonderful trip to Disney World.  For months and months, we pined over the details and I researched like a mad woman for inexpensive ways to spend time at WDW.  Buy food at the grocery store and make meals at your hotel (great money saving tip!).  Since we had a party of 10 we would have spent a ridiculous amount of money if we’d eaten out every day.  We also made sandwiches and ate them for lunch (another money saving tip).  WDW will let you bring in food and drinks (thank goodness).  I’m not sure what I would have done without the Diet Mountain Dews and Diet Pepsi and of course, bottled water.  We walked SO much.

MigL and I arrived at WDW Friday night, after nine, yes nine, hours of traveling.  Ya really get your money’s worth by working those good ‘ol layovers and stops.  The warm and breezy 70-something degree Florida weather was greatly welcomed Christmas morning.  Now THIS is Florida.  I was looking forward to the fantastic Florida weather, as we were having incredibly cold mornings and days here in Napa (frost on windshields and mostly upper 40s weather).  For you non-Californians, typical weather during winter is around 60 degrees; the 40s is not conducive to your typical California weather.

What a great moment to search for a fitness center!  My first day in Florida on a beautiful sunny Christmas afternoon and here I am on a quest to find a fitness center for my first activity of the day.  Little did I know that on my way to said fitness center, a wasp (at least I thought it was) had latched onto my thumb.  It wasn’t until I got inside the fitness center I was closing my hand and felt something on my thumb.  PINCH!  What the heck was that!  I quickly flung my hand so fast.  I saw something on the left side of the floor but probably had gone underneath the treadmill machines.  Drat!  It hurt like crazy!  I couldn’t bear the pain and I returned back to the hotel room.  MigL was hanging out in the living room.  “I think I got stung by a wasp, what do we do?”  Panic and frustration and a bit of anger settle into me because of this THING.  We need internet!  I quickly ran downstairs and over to the next building where the welcome building was to get a password for the internet.  Then I proceeded to find some help for my poor thumb.  I managed to call Security over and had to wait a couple of minutes for “backup” to get the first aid kit to where we were.  “I always carry the kit with me, but for some reason today, I’m missing it,” said the security guard.  “Great.  It’s just my luck.  I’m out on my first day of vacation on this beautiful day, ready to conquer the week of relaxation and fun and this is what I get.” Welcome to Florida.

The security guard gave me some bee/wasp sting wipes.  There wasn’t much else he could do.  I wasn’t sure if I’d get a reaction or not.  The only other time I got stung by a bee was on a Friday afternoon in college after classes had been finished and I was grabbing some dinner and was headed back to my dorm when I got stung on my foot.  Needless to say at the time I was wearing flip flops and my foot began to swell within five minutes - it stayed swollen for about a week.  I wasn’t sure how my body would react seeing how well my body did with the bee sting.  I hadn’t ever gotten stung by a wasp.

MigL tried looking up on the internet what type of wasp it was.  “I don’t know, it was a wasp (I think).  It hurts so bad!  Isn’t there a general thing to do for wasp stings?  Why do we have to know exactly what it looked like?”  I knew there was a reason why he wanted to find the exact thing that stung me but I was getting more anxious by the second.  I just wanted treatment and for my thumb to stop hurting. I was holding/pinching my thumb so that it’d hurt less.   About 10 minutes later (which felt like an eternity) we finally got an answer.  Antibiotics.  Well, I can do that.  I’d packed some Advil before we left just in case MigL got any headaches on our trip.  I swallowed three with water so fast, by the time you said Advil, they were gone.  More pinching.  Hardly any blood came out.  It seemed like it had all coagulated on my finger.  Today, what still remains on my thumb is a black dot.  Stupid wasp.  Oh yeah, Merry Christmas to me.

The next three days were as cold as being in a freezer.  The plants seemed to have been covered overnight everyday with tarp so that the plants wouldn’t die.  Morning temperatures at 7 a.m. = 30 degrees.  High of 50.  We all warmed ourselves with all of the extra layers we could put on including hats, gloves, scarves and extra outwear.  We’re in Florida not California, right?  It’d been cold in California the week prior I just wanted to confirm that with MigL.  We went to Hollywood Studios on Sunday, Epcot on Monday, Animal Kingdom on Tuesday, Epcot on Wednesday, Magic Kingdom on Thursday.

Trying to get warm at Hollywood studios

756

792

799

852825

865

894

1211899

960

962

910

991988

Yep, this is definitely the most beautiful castle ever.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails