Saturday, May 29, 2010

Roasted Chicken Breast with Potatoes and Asparagus


What a great morning today!  I hadn’t had cereal since last weekend, as breakfast during the week is normally yogurt with banana and granola.

024

Today I spent the day relaxing, reading and doing a little cooking.  MigL really loved the flavors of the following chicken dish and I’m incredibly happy this dish turned out perfect and it was so easy.  I told MigL, “this would be my comfort food if I were a kid coming back home.  Except that my parents didn’t cook like this.  But when my kids come home, hopefully this recipe will be one of their favorites.”

Here’s how you make the Roasted Chicken Breast with Potatoes and Asparagus:

Combine the mustard, tarragon, garlic, oil, honey, and salt in a medium bowl.  Then add the chicken and coat well.  The reason why you should add the oil first then the honey is because the honey will slide off much easier if the measuring spoon has already been coated with a liquid (it probably won’t work as well with water).  If you switch the order of adding honey then oil, you’ll have a stickier time getting the honey off of your measuring spoon.

025

Then, add the coated chicken and potatoes into a baking dish.  I initially made the mistake of putting it onto a baking sheet.  I realized what I’d done after I’d put the ingredients on the pan, luckily I realized this before I put it in the oven!  Ugh, one more dish to wash.  Once you place the chicken and potatoes on the baking dish, bake them for 25 minutes.

028

Then add the asparagus and cook for another 12 minutes.

036 
Buen provecho! (For you non-Spanish speaking folks, it translates to, “enjoy your meal!”

037

 Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers.

Servings: 2
WW Points: 12
Cook time: 37 min
Prep time: 16 minutes
Level of Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients

2 tbsp Dijon mustard, whole-grain
1 tbsp fresh tarragon, or 1 teaspoon dried
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 tsp olive oil, or extra-virgin
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp table salt
1 1/4 pound Chicken breast, skinless, boneless, raw, or with bone
4 small potatoes (about 1/2 pound) white, purple, or red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
1/2 pound asparagus, fresh
1/8 medium lemon, or 2 wedges

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.

Combine the mustard, tarragon, garlic, oil, honey, and salt in a medium bowl.  Add the chicken; toss well to coat.

Place the chicken, breast-side up, in the center of the baking dish. Add the potatoes and carrots to the mustard mixture in bowl; toss well to coat. Arrange the potatoes and carrots around the chicken. Roast 25 minutes.

Meanwhile trim and discard the tough ends of the asparagus; cut into 2-inch lengths. Add to potatoes and carrots in baking pan, stirring to coat asparagus. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the chicken breast registers 170°F and the vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes longer.

Cut the chicken breast in two. Wrap and refrigerate half for up to 3 days for later use. Thinly slice the remaining half chicken breast from the bone (discard the bones) and serve with the vegetables and lemon wedges. Yields about 5 thin slices chicken and 11/2 cups vegetables per serving.

Latin Cook’s notes

One of my favorite parts of this dish were the potatoes!  I was thoroughly excited when the chicken turned out moist, juicy and it had awesome flavor.  While making this dish I thought, “how does this work with tofu?”  I used extra firm tofu, mixed it in the same ingredients as the chicken but it didn’t deliver.  It was a bit soggy, even though I drained as much water as I could.  I only had regular Dijon mustard on hand, but the Dijon, needless to say, definitely delivered on the chicken.  I didn’t have fresh tarragon, but I did have Herbes de Provence; however, HDP has tarragon, along with some other spices, so it worked wonderfully.  I only had small white potatoes and I didn’t think it took anything away from the dish.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails