Thursday, May 13, 2010

Muy caliente!


That’s how my mouth feels after having tonight’s Thai-style dinner.  I got the recipe from this week’s Weight Watchers weekly and it was dee-licious, with a capital D.

045

I realized tonight that I need to get back to the basics of my healthy eating.  Life has gotten a bit crazy since MigL has been out of work for a few months and I’ve gotten stressed out thinking about it (or not thinking about it at times) and have somehow turned to food for comfort.  I’ve never done this in my entire life before, so why should I start or rather, continue, now??  I’ve gained a few pounds back, but I’ve decided that I need to get back to the basics – continue eating healthier, monitoring portion sizes, avoid mindless eating and getting some exercise.

Food does not control me, I control it.  I will not let circumstances beyond my control affect my eating habits that will derail me from leading a healthy lifestyle. Mind over matter! 

I was talking with one of the gals at the meeting with which I've become close to, and she mentioned something that stuck with me.  She was telling me about the first time she stepped on the scale at WW.  The receptionist could tell she was nervous about weighing in and told her “Don’t worry, you’re never going to see this number again”.  And since her first weigh-in over 2 years ago, she’s lost over 100 pounds.  How amazing is that?!  When you make something you want happen, and work hard at it, and amazing things can happen.

Thai Chicken Stir-Fry

Ingredients

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1lb uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
1 medium scallion, sliced
1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
2 cups green snap beans, each sliced into 3 pieces
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp Asian hot sauce, such as chili paste
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, Thai or Italian

Directions

Place a large  nonstick  skillet over medium-high heat; add oil and swirl to coat pan.  When hot, add chicken; sauté for 3 minutes.

Add scallion and garlic, sauté until quite fragrant, about 2 minutes.  Add green beans, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and chili paste; sauté until green beans are crisp-tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Add basil and cook for 1 minute more.  Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.

Latin Cook’s notes

I used canola oil instead of vegetable, because that’s what I had on hand.  I didn’t have any fish sauce or Asian hot sauce, so I substituted it for red pepper flakes – to my liking of spiciness.  I’m actually curious to see how this recipe turns out using tofu.  I’m sure it’ll actually turn out equally delish.  If anyone tries it out with tofu, can ya let me know?  Instead of the 1 garlic clove, I added three – yes three.  I suppose I’ve become used to dishes having a bit more (umph) flavor and at times prefer it that way.  What the heck, spices don’t have any calories.  Why not?! I didn’t have snap beans, but I did have frozen green beans, so I just popped those right in.  I had fresh Italian basil on hand, so that worked pretty well.  Hmm, seems like lots of substitutions tonight.  Oh well.  That’s sometimes what’s so great about cooking.  Sometimes you can turn what you have into something incredibly amazing and that’s totally OK!

You can definitely serve this dish with Jasmine rice and complete this amazing Bangkok experience!

I’m so glad it’s Friday tomorrow!  AND only  2 weeks until Royal Pains premiers its new season!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails