Monday, January 18, 2010

More soup for you!


So I made it to the library earlier today and searched for anything Julia Child.  To my dismay there were only two books about her and/or written about her that remained at the library.  The rest were either checked out or somewhere on the shelf.  So I checked out those two books – From Julia’s Kitchen and The Biography of Julia Child.  I’m actually looking forward to reading the latter of the two.  What I really wanted to get was Julia’s recount of her time in France, but I guess I’ll have to wait until it gets returned back to the library.

Tonight’s new recipe was a Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup.

Cook’s thoughts

It wasn’t as spicy as I thought it would be.  I think next time I think I’ll add a can of Rotel and/or finely diced jalapenos to give it the kick it needs. Overall it was a good chicken soup fit for a rainy day like today.

Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes

serves: 4

Ingredients

1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
1 (14-oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups thawed frozen mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, corn, and red bell pepper)
1 cup water
2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast
3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp lime juice
12 baked tortilla chips, crumbled

Directions

Combine the tomatoes, broth, vegetables, water, and cum in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, 10 minutes.

Stir in the chicken and cook until heated through, 2 minutes.  Stir in the cilantro and lime juice.  Top each serving with 3 of the tortilla chips and serve at once.  Or omit the tortilla chips and transfer to individual microwave-safe containers.  Let cool, cover, and refrigerate up to 3 days.  To reheat, microwave each 1 1/2-cup serving on High until heated through, 2 minutes.  Top with the tortilla chips just before eating.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails